What is the *best* level/intensity/section transition you've ever experienced in a video game?

Technical topics. Middleware. Programming. Audio related game engine things.
berrak

What is the *best* level/intensity/section transition you've ever experienced in a video game?

Post by berrak »

I asked a version of this question on twotter some time ago, but thinking it might be a good opener to start a technical sound design / audio integration discussion here, and also it is an easier way to archive / share answers here instead of twitter search.

The actual context is this

the *best* (in your view) level/intensity/section transition you ever seen in a video game, especially from an audio/music PoV?

posted this here, instead of just sound design or composition section, because in my view this has more to do with technical sound design/integration, than anything else, so any specific examples you still think of all the time, or any analysis you have done on how it was build / integrated, from a procedural sound design / music perspective etc. in any game ever is a good share.

anything goes, no answer is wrong/bad, but please let's keep it to a specific transition/section example that is YOUR favorite, in a single game / level even, and not whole games, or franchises.

to start the thread going, here is one of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUXGW6sWYDY
mattesque

Re: What is the *best* level/intensity/section transition you've ever experienced in a video game?

Post by mattesque »

that was a super great moment. it's stuck with me as well. the song choice. the little sfx ducking to focus on it. really great work.
Matthew Marteinsson
Sound Designer
Forum Owner/Operator
Tony Porter

Re: What is the *best* level/intensity/section transition you've ever experienced in a video game?

Post by Tony Porter »

Gonna go with Braid. The moment you find out ... well geez I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't played. But the final level has you reaching your goal and this bizarre music plays... sounds backward? Then the scene flips on you and the music is reversed (plays correctly now) and the scene starts to play in reverse revealing that everything in the game you thought was the goal. You are not who you thought you were. It was such a gut punch.
Tony Porter
Audio Developer, Freelancer, Game Audio Slack
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

The big violent ending sequence in Inside is one that sticks out to me. The game had been holding back in its loudness and dynamics the whole time and it just lets loose right at the end. Never seen a game do that before!
Juan Pablo Uribe
Senior Sound Designer - Bungie
Arrghbee

Post by Arrghbee »

Love this question. A few come to mind immediately.

Lara Croft used a mono verb in a claustrophobic scene, accentuating that transition out when she gets free.

INSIDE used some subtle mixing to transition into some key moments. As simple as tweaking volume but really helping build the eerie environment and the tension.

Journey’s musical opening always stuck with me. That spectral broadband swell that resets the aural palette when you transition into a new game.

And because I adore Disco Elysium, the musical transition to the island in the last chapter (akin to the RDR example). Very impactful. I guess in the same breath you could mention MGS and the ladder transition too.
Rob Brown - Tech Audio
8ude

Post by 8ude »

Level 1 of Rez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7lG6en9vBI

The build is soooo satisfying
Corey Bertelsen (he/him)

Technical Sound Designer at Avalanche Studios
Gautam Ramdas

Post by Gautam Ramdas »

https://youtu.be/ZaactcRhV8o

This moment from red dead 2
Gautam Ramdas
Associate Sound Designer @Team Audio
usdivad

Post by usdivad »

This part of Genesis Noir really stands out in recent memory! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1EGs4MbK8k

Especially in the context of the rest of the game, and the audiovisual palette used up until then (much like many of the other examples mentioned)
David Su
Audio Programmer @ Brass Lion Entertainment
https://usdivad.com/
@usdivad
Spotline

Post by Spotline »

Really hard to recall every great moment but right now the one I have in mind is the first ending of Year Walk by Simogo and its fabulous musical progression (big spoilers) https://youtu.be/tG14G177FCc?t=873
In complement to the graphic style & gameplay changing completely at this late point of the game, it really satisfies the "revelation ending" feeling.
Clément Duquesne
Audio designer / programmer
mhasselbalch

Post by mhasselbalch »

I need to give the thought a bit more time, but, as already mentioned, Inside does it wonderfully. One particularly moment come sto mind. There's this one small section in the later part of the game, in the rooms where you have to flip levers to in- or decrease the water amount to progress, and in one room the camera is behind a window (hidden figure watching?) and the audio is mixed so low and filtered, almost not there. It just disappears during the transition. If it's even there at all. Only a subtle hum. Lovely moment.
Marc Hasselbalch. Sound artist. Copenhagen, Denmark.