When do you change up plugins?

Making all the sorts of sounds in games
mattesque

When do you change up plugins?

Post by mattesque »

We all, I think, have plugins that are our "go to" ones that give us the results we're after. When do you switch out of those to something new? What was the new thing that made you reevaluate and stop using an old trustworth tool?
Matthew Marteinsson
Sound Designer
Forum Owner/Operator
joemarchuk

Re: When do you change up plugins?

Post by joemarchuk »

This is really interesting, because honestly I'm not sure. I think for me it's just an intuitive thing. Now and then I try new plugins, and if the UI and useability of it works for me, I'll go back to it. Sometimes I develop an intuition for certain plugins of the same kind being more useful for specific situations. Overall it's very rarely ever a conscious decision for me
Sound Designer @ Overworld Audio
He/Him
chrob

Re: When do you change up plugins?

Post by chrob »

Oh man, I have this issue where I'm not allowed to use plugins I personally own on anything related to work (which makes sense, and I abide by it because I like having a job lol) so my honest answer is: whenever I get approved for something new hahahaha.

I think my cue to really start changing it up is when I've got more than a dozen presets saved for a plug. As someone who really doesn't care about maintaining presets and rarely bothers with the ones included, if I've got more than a tiny handful saved, I know I've been overusing that processor.
Chris P
Sound Designer