CarouselCon

Chit chat
mattesque

CarouselCon

Post by mattesque »

So in 2017, I organized and hosted an event called CarouselCon. This was a series of free talks outside GDC where a large number of game audio people naturally where congrating for lunch. It started as a joke name the year before and then I actually went ahead and organized it. For 3 days, we had people give short talks on all kinds of game audio topics and included time for people to get up and spontaneously give talks as well. I tried to keep this all as open and welcoming as I could with the only bar of entry being having something to talk about. It went really well and was really cool. In 2018, I did it again. Great success, even more people showed up. And 2019, did it again and have new people curate each of the three days so we could expand the reach of getting people to do talks. Again great success. And then everything went to hell. So it stopped. As did everything.

Now in 2023, things are happening again. If you don't know me, I'm an immunocompromised person so attending GDC is still not yet in the cards for me. So what happens with CarouselCon? Well, here's the thing, I always envisioned this thing as eventually organizing itself. Or that would be all of you in the community organizing it without needing me as a figurehead. Lots of people know it's something that goes on. Knows when and where it happens. So show up and give a talk. I may have started it but I really believe you don't need me to keep it up.

So this year is a big test, will you all make it happen with out me? I really want to hear about people showing up at lunch to give some talks to the lunch crowd. Do it! You are an awesome community for doing stuff. Keep it up and make CarouselCon happen. And let me know when you do. Be safe and kind to each other.

UPDATE: it's now 2024 and this is all still relevant. from what I heard, last year CarouselCon totally happened without me. which is rad! I hope everyone makes it happen once again this year. maybe 2025 I'll be there again to yell my face off at everyone. till then keep it going.
Matthew Marteinsson
Sound Designer
Forum Owner/Operator
mattesque

Re: CarouselCon

Post by mattesque »

3 things to note:
Don't bring any cameras to film things. It's in a public park and you need permits to film there.
Don't bring any amplification/speakers/microphones. You need a permit for that too and will get shut down.
I encourage anyone speaking to not do a talk they are already doing at GDC. GDC could get made that their paid content is being released for free. Stick to fresh none conference content.
Matthew Marteinsson
Sound Designer
Forum Owner/Operator
cobikmontero

Re: CarouselCon

Post by cobikmontero »

Thank for sharing mattesque
Find the best mmo games private servers list on Gamehot.